Monday, September 10, 2007

Whoo-eee

No voice left.

Not because I was yelling at my students--though there was a little of that today... Not really yelling, just couldn't be heard if I spoke regularly. Yes, now that is a bad thing. I love my students to death, and I sometimes think that day may be close.

No, today's lack of voice is due to the freshman volleyball practice.

Today was my first day of coaching freshmen volleyball. The team was in the same gym as the JV and Varsity and the football team. Yes, the football team was in the gym with us because it was raining buckets (for about an hour, as it tends to do). We have our second game of the season tomorrow. I'm going to try to stay positive and use it as a learning experience for the girls. I hope I can get some game footage to use in practice. We'll see. Today we drilled. I used some from my own days under a fabulous and (we thought) cruel high school coach. She actually heard through the grapevine that I was coaching, and she sent me a good-luck email with suggestions. I do not know what I would have done without her help, and I will likely be calling on it again. In the meantime, we'll see what tomorrow holds. To say the least, it was not the most promising end to a day.

Then miraculously, it was beautifully clear on the way home. I saw a rainbow in a blue sky, and heard some of my favorite country songs, so I sang along with what was left of my voice and my 32oz. of sweet tea.

Now that I'm done venting and am in a better mood, having reminisced on the pleasant ride home, I have to get back to work. Grades are due tomorrow, and I still have a week and a half of homework to check. On top of that, I still need to figure out how to entertain and educate 80 students in a computer lab for an hour and a half when I have nothing for them to do. I was supposed to give a computer-based test tomorrow, and the program managers cannot get the program to download through the school firewall. I'm stumped... Need to find websites and brain teasers... Need to find something to teach them in the meantime... So what am I doing chatting?!

Much love and appreciation. Goodnight to all who still see the promise tomorrow holds.

No comments: