Thursday, June 7, 2007

Whirlwind

What a whirlwind of a week. Where did the time go?

Tuesday is almost a blur now. As I was getting ready to leave for the airport, I heard a knock on my door. My sister came to say goodbye before she left for work. It was short and sweet--no tears, a few inside jokes, and she was headed toward the door. Dad caught her on the way out. i don't know what he said, but by the time she left, all of us were losing it.

We were ok 'til we got to the airport. First, tell me this: when was the last time you heard a live Swing Dixie band in an airport at 11:00 in the morning? What kind of a sign is this when I'm finally headed to New Orleans and there's a band playing Lou'siana music to send me off. I got a picture.

My goodbyes with Mom and Dad started off well, but they never end without some tears. Some people might not appreciate that in the middle of a busy airport, but despite the looks we got, I could have asked for no deeper sign of love, and I loved in return.

The flight was smooth. We had one stop in Dallas, but I didn't even have to deplane. I was picked up by the TfA corps member I'd stayed with in May, and I can hardly say how nice it was to see a friendly face. I stayed with her one night, along with another new corps member, and we were off at 6:30 Wednesday morning. We registered and got settled in the dorm on the campus we were using for Induction. A bunch of people showed up an hour later or so, all dressed up and looking professional. The other girl and I felt like we'd missed something, as we were standing there in our jeans and tank tops. They were headed to an interview, we came to find out. Our interviews weren't until the afternoon.

Speaking of which, I was grouped with about 10 other new corps members to travel out to a little city about 45 min. outside of New Orleans. It's a cute little place. I don't know how big it is. We were herded into a room with 5 school principals already seated in it. The process was explained to me as a sort of speed-dating interview. We introduced ourselves and told what subject we would soon be highly qualified to teach. Then we were sent one at a time to speak with principals who might need such a teacher. I had three interviews. The first was with a lady who had started her own school. This school includes grades 5-7, and it is designed for students who are several grade levels behind in work. The work is very individualized and based around interdisciplinary projects. The students can take a test at the end of ever semester and, if they pass, move up to the next grade. The second principal was very young to be in such a position. She was very proud of her K-8th grade school's accomplishments and is determined to make it the best in the state of LA.

The third principal reminded me very much of my principal in high school. This was my most comfortable interview. The way she described the school sounded a lot like mine, and it has many of the same extracurriculars. She also happened to need a Geometry teacher for this coming year. As the last principals left, we were rounded back up, and we went off to dinner with the corps who were placed there the last few years. This is a fantastic group of people, believe me. That night, they invited us, all 120 of us, out to a local joint with a live band. The music was great: somewhere between rock and country and brass band. The company was wonderful. I got to sit and talk with a few new friends for most of the night. Sadly, I haven't seen them much since.

Guess what: 8:00AM Thursday morning, as I was headed downstairs to breakfast, I met one of the girls who had driven us out to this district. She told me that the director needed to see me. The first things through my head were that none of my interviews had felt solid, and that I was probably going to be told I needed to go with this other group who were going to interview in the Recovery School District in downtown New Orleans.

Instead, she smiles as I enter the downstairs lounge she has turned into a makeshift office. She says, "I just wanted to let you know that you have your placement already. What do you think?"

What?! Dude! Cool!! Wait, this means I have a classroom. I have students who will be looking for me, waiting for me come August. I had darn-well better get my act together and be ready and waiting for them, too... Sweet!

So we just bummed around for a good portion of that day. We drove back out to a K-8 school in that district to observe a little summer reading program a TfA corps member had started. We got back in time for dinner and a lecture/seminar about I-don't-remember-what. All I know was that it was hot and sticky, we had packed 120 people in there, the kitchen staff wouldn't let us go get drinks, and the air conditioner was broken in that room.

The next days I hardly remember. We had more seminars to familiarize us with procedures in New Orleans, the principles of TfA, the goals of the corps, etc. Good stuff, but there's been way too much proactive interference (new stuff getting in the way) since then. I do know that I spent a good bit of both nights in the lounge/lobby, borrowing math books to study for the test I had to take on Saturday. The math test turned out to be about what I expected, which was not pleasant or easy, but I think I survived. The other test I had to take was on principles of learning and teaching. What educational training have I had in this area? None. Conveniently enough, though, much of the research to validate what they teach teachers comes from psychology--and I'd just finished a class on learning and behavior. Thank you, Lord. This second test feels like it went great. In between, a few of us New Orleans folks got a scenic tour of the area around Baton Rouge as we looked for a Cracker Barrel that wasn't there. The Sonic served us nicely, and the drive was lovely. :-)

Saturday night, people went out, so what was I to do? Yes, I went out. Fun? Not really, until we went by the Cafe du Monde. My first time. Sunday, we packed up, loaded up, and headed for Houston to begin our Institute training. I caught a ride with a wonderfully sweet corps member. I was planning on reading a good bit more of my pre-Institute assignments, but we ended up talking the whole 5 hours. I regret not one minute.

If I ever did, I have no doubt now that God watches over us. He has left a train of signs. He provides just what we need, just when we need it. He teaches us that we don't need everything we think we do. He has a plan, and He will see it through in each of us. No matter where this road leads, He walks with me and cares for me and prepares the way for me long before I round the bend.

The next corner is coming.

All the love in me is yours, through Christ our Savior.

No comments: