Saturday, July 28, 2007

Last weekend of freedom

This is my last weekend before I start my real job. Orientation for my distrct's new teachers starts Monday. Did I mention that already? Oh dear, when things start to fade together, you know you've been a holding pattern too long. So what did I do with my "free weekend?"

I went to my friends' party Friday night. They have a beautiful house--truly beautiful, with a decent backyard and a banana tree. They were celebrating the birthday of one of the residents and invited all of our corps. I think I actually showed some people that I can relax once in a while. Really, you must be thinkging, it takes so much for you to relax? Indeed, it took a lot of friendly and familiar people, a real home, welcome laughter, no plans, and a lot of the Cupid Shuffle. That reminds me: I need to get my dancing fix soon. I'm starting to go through withdrawals, dancing to anything that comes on--even the easy listening jazz on the radio. This makes driving occasionally awkward...

What did I do with my Saturday? I got up far earlier than any Saturday of late. I actually invested myself in this community I call my new home. I helped gutt a house in the 9th ward, along with a few volunteer coordinators and about 10 GNO people. We started at 8:00 in the morning at the house. By 3:30, we had the place nearly empty of walls, etc. I cannot quite put into words what this experience meant to me. It had some very difficult moments, often when I would try to place myself in the owners' shoes when they would return to this building which used to be their home. I could never get close to the actual feeling, but even the imagined was powerful.

I also saw the heart of the people with whom I'm working in a different capacity. I've seen them invest countless, sleepless hours in lesson preparation for their students. I even got to see some of them put those plans into action in the classroom. Today I got to see their consistent, compassionate, selfless gritt working through 95 degree weather, carrying load after load of full wheelbarrows, draining bottles of water in a single sitting, replacing the masks back over overheating faces and plunging back into the mold and dust. They never quit; they never got downcast; they never complained. Weary or not, they worked hard to do what they could. I could hardly be more proud of my new friends.

In other news, I also got a bed. A dear friend and fellow corps member grew up here. Her family still lives here and had a few spare twin beds. She and her father brought them over this afternoon. No more nights in my sleeping bag on my floor. Ahh, a lovely thought.

Plans for the evening: another party with friends for a little while, perhaps a concert, a shower, a good night's sleep, and the promise of frisbee and church tomorrow.

Exhausted, yet content to have done something so valuable with this day, I'll leave you again for the night. God be with you and watch over you.

No comments: