Friday, July 13, 2007

Mixed Emotions

Closing ceremonies were last night. We had some corps members share stories from their journals of Institute. Of course, we all have a story or two. "This is why we teach for America."

I have such conflicted feelings that I am in a bit of a funk. I’m really glad this schedule will change for a while and that my family will be here soon. I definitely think I could benefit from some more tips and techniques for teaching before I get a class for a whole year. I’m more nervous than I want to think about (it will only get worse if I do) because I do not feel prepared enough to take on this next challenge with such little time before it starts. I also have so much to take care of providing for basic needs—a house, roommates, furniture, food, dishes, etc. It will also be difficult to leave the people I’ve met here from other corps. We have had to bear these trials together, and I’ve naturally grown attached to them in a very short time. These people have been my friends and family-away-from-home. I know their stories, their interests, their habits, their personalities, their pet-peeves, their food preferences, even some inside jokes now. We have shared triumphs and disheartening failings, weak moments and football games. I’d like to think I will see them again, and soon. In true TfA spirit, though, we are all across the country: South Dakota to the Rio Grande Valley to New Orleans with me. I will miss them.

Closing ceremonies were last night, but today is really, finally the end of the beginning. Tomorrow, I leave for New Orleans. Then we'll see just what God has in store in this new, real world.

No comments: